Monte Hermosa, Argentina






Jan 12, 2005




This is the sort of place that spoils you. I´m two blocks from an incredibly long beach, in a clean room that set me back $20, just had a hamburger for $1.33, and walking past the place with Paella for $3, in a big pan they cook right next to the window, I asked myself when I would be hungry again. There is a long strip of stores closed to traffic that leads down to the beach, with street performers and throngs of vacationing Argentinians.

There are women who should not wear thongs. Most of them are here.

There have been a lot of jokes made about Argentina and Germans, and there are a lot of German placenames here, but it was still somewhat disconcerting when I returned to my hotel from the beach and the owner started speaking to me in fluent German.

I got a new tire put on and decided to put in early for a change instead of riding until ten and hoping to find something, figuring my luck was due to change. So I turned in here at 4, and took nice long walk on the beach. The water is warm but brown, because of the sand, I´m told.
When the argentinians are not kicking a soccer ball, they play a game like bocce on the beach, tossing wooden discs instead of rolling balls.

You can buy a beachfront condo here for between 15,000 and 30,000 US.

No comments: