San Juan, Argentina

Jan 27, 2006

I am in the foothills next to Chile.

It is hot.

Last night I decided to try my ride at night technique, because I was once again in the desert, had 120 miles to go, and it was warm. So as the sun set, I rode on, confident that it would work this time. The next thing I knew, as soon as darkness set in, I was in a marsh, it was pitch black, and ducks were flying across the road.

The road turned again and up ahead I could see lightning flashes. Mosquitos breed in marshes, lots and lots of mosquitos. So I was covered in dead bugs,dodging ducks, and heading for lightning. And there was no town or gas for 140 miles.

At the gas station I met three Argentinians on bikes. We traveled the rest of the way to San Juan, and I ended up sharing a room with one.He is a doctor from Cordoba and a chainsmoker who confines his smoking to the bathroom. We went out and were out to three in the morning, then the other two started calling at about 8 am. So I am not at my best or brightest this morning. Not only that, but I have gone more than a week without laundry service.

No comments: