Rio Cuarto, Argentina

Feb 28, 2006

After a long time without really moving very far, I went about 400 miles yesterday, and can feel it everywhere. The bike is holding up surprisingly well, considering that I have no idea how to check the oil and at times it is full, then when I go to check it the next day is completely empty. So I just fill it completely every day.

Nothing is quite the thrill that having to switch to your reserve tank while passing a long line of trucks and looking into the headlights of a fast oncoming bus provides. Rio Cuarto is a surprisingly large town alongside a river. I got in late and rode around for about half an hour looking for a hotel, finally settling on the first one I came to. After checking in, I made a quick walk of the immediate environs and found three more,just around the corner.

I was expecting a small farming community, and found a vibrant city center, full of highrise apartment buildings. I found a sports bar and watched a soccer game (surprise), while eating a late dinner last night.

One thing that surprises me is how many of them drag their very young kids into bars and restaurants at midnight. And the kids are wide awake and run screaming through the places.

When I left Santiago it was overcast and cold. Today is overcast and cold, and the temperature is predicted to drop on Friday.

So much for escaping winter.

It has been raining a lot, and so the pampas are lush, the mountains and hillsides green, and the ever-present pampas grass in full bloom. This part of Argentina has a lot of very rugged little hills, and so the terrain has not been as boring as usually when crossing the pampa.

I have been giving a lot of thoughts to the hotdogs down here. Theyare very popular, the people eat them like crazy, and yet they also eat everything we associate the making of hotdogs with. All the really repulsive parts of the cow that you associate with Fear Factor or your Mexican neighbor´s hangover cure. So what´s left? What are they made of?

No comments: