Paso de Los Libres, Argentina

Jan 23, 2006

I made it to the border with Brazil and then realized I really don´t have enough money to get far enough into Brazil to make it worthwhile. So I´m off to the other side of Argentina. Today a couple of interesting things happened.I was going through a tollbooth and one of the policemen on the other side waved me over, asked to see every document I could thinkof producing, asked me what all the medications I had were, where I thought I was going to get Malaria, things like that, then took all my papers into his office. I waited and waited, then he came out, folding my documents up and sticking them back into my passport. He got to the bike and said, ¨Sir, the bike is stolen.¨ I got rather indignant, and figured he was going to ask for a bribe or something, but he waited a couple of seconds and then started laughing and handed me back my documents.

On my way north, I passed a sign for German Town, and on the sign was a beer stein, so I figured I would take the gravel road the 2 km the sign said I would take to encounter German Town, and off I went.

There was a big sign announcing that the Argentine government had just put new gravel down, and boy did they do a good job. It was thick and slippery, and the bike was starting to wander. I rode on and on, and on, down this lonely dirt road, more than two kilometers, then went around a corner and saw a guy walking towards me. He was very dark, and as I got closer I could see that he had piercing blue or green eyes, and a Seed of Chuckie teeshirt. Meanwhile the sky had started to fill with heavy black clouds. I went a little distant further, then turned around, and quickly passed the seed of Chuckie on my way back to the main road.

No comments: