Santiago de Chile

Feb 4, 2006

I´ve been back here a week, and I have made a couple of interesting observations about the Chileans.

First off, they hate all things Argentina.

So dulce de leche, which was invented in Argentina and is called Dulce de Leche in every country in the world, has a different name here in Chile. If you order Dulce de Leche ice cream, they will correct you and then bring your order last, after everyone else at your table and around you has been served.

A very popular salutation in Argentina and Uruguay is Che, they use it amongst friends, and when they want to get someone´s attention in a restaurant or store. Because of the time I spent in Argentina and Uruguay, I got used to using it as a salutation, and still use it frequently. As a result of this, I am pretty well disliked by most of the people around me, and most of the Chileans I know say it is just a matter of time before someone beats me up.

To keep people from tailgating the city buses, they took out the brakelights. It works...

No comments: