Esquel, Argentina


Dec 31, 2004


I was hoping for more of the same in Argentina, the same sensibility, the same level headed approach to the operation of motor vehicles, but we´re back to three cars abreast in two traffic
lanes and smoking vehicles using 84 octane gas.

Other than that, Argentina is absolutely beautiful. Today was like driving around Lake Tahoe, if Lake Tahoe was a series of lakes I had all to myself. The mountains are snow capped, the water is clean and blue, and the roadside is full of purple and yellow wildflowers. The roads are good, and full of curves.

From Chile it was raining all the way to the border, which was easy to cross, and then as I descended down into Argentina, the rain let up and before I knew it, the sky was a vibrant blue. Esquel is a skiing town, and I´m at a residencial for skiers, where I get two beds, warm water and a remote control for $10 a night.

I´ve seen a lot of motorcycles (a lot here means 3) going the other direction, but nobody stops to chat.

Happy New Year

I found out as I was leaving Chile that there I´m not like a Bull in a China shop, I´m as dangerous as a monkey with a straightrazor. It makes the point so much more poignantly, I think.

No comments: