Playa Tamarindo, Costa Rica


I made it to Costa Rica. When I first thought about making this trip about three years ago, this was where I intended to end up. Mark and I spent last night in Liberia, Costa Rica, in the Hotel Liberia, where for $7 each we got to share a room with private bath and fan. In the morning, there was a breakfast of scrambled eggs, rice, beans and toast for another couple of bucks. The town is supposedly one of the rougher in Costa Rica, but by the time it gets going, I am usually exhausted and fast asleep. Crossing over from Nicaragua was a hassle. If you don't use one of the border guides to get you through, the officials start nickel and diming you before they will let you leave the country. We had to pay a mayors fee of $1, an after hours fee of $2, and three dollars for a passport stamp, which we got receipts for $2 for, so the government official got himself a couple of dollars for his efforts.

I haven't seen a lot of Costa Rica so far, but the infrustructure seems vastly improved over the other countries of South America. The people appear to take pride in their country, and the only unwashed masses I have seen are the hoards of backpackers that refuse to bathe or pay two dollars more for a room with a bathroom. And I stole their soap, so they can't bathe if they wanted to.

Tonight I'm going to watch endangered turtles lay eggs and afterward have a nice omelette and some soup made fresh on the beach. The beach towns are expensive, and full of surfers and more backpackers.

No comments: