Houston, Texas


November 5, 2004

There may be three people in the entire United States who know how to adjust the fuel injection system on my bike, and probably none between here and my final destination. I headed to Houston, hoping to meet up with Mike Haven of MPH Cycles, a tuning shop for Moto Guzzi Motorcycles.

As I crossed into Texas, the roads opened up before me, the sky cleared and then turned a nice deep winter blue, and I let the bike race down the road at about 75 or 80 mph. Things were looking up and I figured on a day in Houston, then on to Mexico and the real adventure before me.

I got to Houston during rush hour and went off in the wrong direction down I-8. After gettting off the road and calling the shop twice, I was there. As I wheeled the bike into the shop, Mike pointed out to me that oil was dripping out the back of it. I unloaded the bike and asked what it might be.

"Could be a bad rear seal, could be a bad casting. We have the part to fix the rear main seal, it would take months to get a new case for the engine."

I went to the Red Roof Inn hoping it was just a rear main seal.

No comments: