Saltillo, Mexico


November 10, 2004

Well, Im finally out of Texas, in a internet cafe in Saltillo, or should I say Smogtillo, Mexico, where I can{t figure out how to accent contractions. While my bike was getting repaired, I rented a car and went to a Vintage Motorcycle show in Luckenbach, TX. After five days in the shop in Houston, I was able to escape and the only thing that doesn{t work now is the brake light when I use the rear brake. I can{t believe how smoggy the air is from North of Monterrey to here. It has an acrid smell you wouldn{t believe, but can enjoy as much as I did by sprinkling Ajax cleanser on an old tire and tossing it onto your next bonfire. Monterrey was literally invisible in the Smog.. I think every day is a burn day down here. My first day riding in Messko and I already broke my rule about not riding at night.

Tomorrow I head south for either Mexico City, or somewhere near the ocean, hoping the air will be better. I can{t believe how bad my Spanish has gotten. When I get back home, I{m getting Telemundo...

Today feels like the first real day of the trip.

I owe a lot of thanks to Mike and Dave at MPH Cycles, for putting my bike right and Chris B of Austin for putting me up for a night so I could save more of my money for beer. And then there{s Charlie T of Mission, TX, who helped me prep the bike for the final time and
showed me where the places are in Mexico that I needed to find to get permission to drive through this wonderful and picturesque, yet extremely filthy and foul smelling part of the world. I am extremely grateful to all of you.

And thanks to Beatrice for keeping people updated when I{ve not been able to get to a computer.

I haven't seen much of interest here in Northern Mexico, except for the baby goat on the spit in a restaurant. Next time you find yourself at a petting zoo, and one of those cute little miniature goats nudges your hand, keep in mind they make great tacos.

No comments: