Nazca, Peru


Dec 21, 2004

About twenty miles north of Nazca the bike died and the battery was aking a whistling sound. Somehow it had shorted out and was hot to the touch. A cabdriver helped me get the bike to a safe place, then took me to the auto parts stores in Nazca. Nobody has a motorcycle battery that fits, so I´ve now got a small car battery strapped across the passenger seat. I don´t have high beams, tail or brake lights, and only one light on my dash works. So I´m a little concerned. Unfortunately, I can´t find a reference for a good mechanic in Arequipe, the next big town, so I have to do a little poking and prodding tomorrow, then head out, hoping all is fine. If I can make it to Santiago Del Chile, I should be able to get a decent battery and find someone who knows his way around a modern electrical system.

Outside Nazca are the famous Nazca lines. For less than a dollar you can climb a tower and see the best ones. That´s what I´m going to do tomorrow, after hopefully troubleshooting my electrical problem.

No comments: