More Honduras Stuff


I almost forgot to mention the ferry ride from Roatan to La Cieba. First off, I ended up missing the early boat, which takes off at 7 sharp, and sharp means sharp here, which is a bit of a shock. So I took the 1 pm boat, and decided to spend the night at the same Posada (Bed and Breakfast) as I had my first night in La Cieba. In La Cieba, the boat and dock were about the same level, but in Roatan, the dock is about six feet below the boat. After riding 135 miles exploring Roatan from one end to the other, this on my day off from riding, a lot of it in the dirt, which translates to steep wet clay with rivulets and pools of water and packs of dogs that chase me at inoportune times, I got to the dock and watched the stovedores wheel my bike to the side of the boat, about two feet from the water, and then after everything else was loaded, ten of them picked it up overhead and stuck it on the boat, after laughing and pretending they were going to drop it in the water. Both of my Quotas have been on ferries.

At the police checkpoint, where the army officers look very sharp in their winter snow camo (blue and white, very effective in the tropical jungle), I was asked to show them my license and registration, then a police officer came over to talk to me. I was sure I was going to have one of those unpleasant and expensive experiences people talk about having in latin america, but he just wanted to talk about motorcycles, being a rider himself. As soon as you tell them you are riding to Argentina, most people here assume you are crazy and leave you alone.

No comments: